This summer has been soooo hot....miserably hot lately. I love to be outside and basking in the sun but I have found myself staying inside more and being a lot paler this summer (having a grown up job definitely adds to the paleness too).
Thomas and I have been to the beach this summer with his family back in May and we have another beach trip planned for this September with my family, but Thomas and I decided to take our own summer vacation to somewhere cooler this year. I guess I kind of decided on this tripwith my friend Jen (we are taking a photography workshop there), and then talked Thomas into joining us for the first week of the trip...but either way, we are both super excited about where we are headed! Today we venture off to the land of ice...that is ICELAND!!!!!! I have never been to Europe and the most I have gone out of the country was for our honeymoon to the Caribbean so to say that I am excited is definitely an understatement.
We have been planning this trip for about a year now but as the queen of procrastination, I have waited to the last week before leaving to fit everything in that I needed to do. I have been a hot mess running around trying to get all the essentials and making sure we have everything we need. I will be there for ten days and I have never been gone that long which is exciting and also terrifying. I am just hoping that if I pack my entire fall/winter wardrobe I should be good for anything, although my suitcase doesn't really agree with me.
I will be keeping you all updated via Instagram so feel free to follow me there @balanceinpractice. Also if you have any last minute tips from traveling to Iceland yourself, please do share!!
On another note, I decided to share my popsicle recipe because it is delicious and perfect for this miserably hot weather outside. Also, I figured while I was hiking through glaciers and colder temps, you could be eating this cold snack and feel like you are in Iceland with me (kind of...no? okay nevermind).
What Do You Need?
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 cup blackberries (or your choice of fruit)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
***You will need a popsicle mold if you do not already have one, I got mine from Target!
How Do You Make It?
- Blend the blackberries in a food processor or blender until almost pureed (I like some chunks in there).
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt and honey. Pour the blackberries into the mix and gently stir together. If you want the tie-dye look, don't blend the yogurt and fruit in all the way.
- Pour mixture evenly into each popsicle mold. If your popsicle has sticks, then insert them in. I tried to use those fancy straws but was not the best idea once they got wet when eating so I would recommend using popiscle sticks (the straws just look pretty for pictures haha).
- Place in freezer for at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Run poplicle molds under warm water when ready to easily remove. ENJOY!!
If you have any left over yogurt mix, just grab a container and line it with aluminum foil and pour it in there to freeze and make some yorgurt bark!!
Now go make some of these amazing treats and tell me what you think! Maybe just maybe you will feel like you are in an Icelandic heaven while you eat it.
Hope you have an amazing weekend and stay cool in this crazy heat!
P.S. In case you were wondering, my husband and I are set with accurate passports (if you know our wedding/honeymoon story you would understand this, if you don't know that story you can read about it here). We all know that Thomas and I have some interesting travel stories so say some prayers that we make it there safely and don't get lost in the Icelandic mountains. Stay tuned for some good stories to come!