This month’s Recipe Redux was all about doing a little Spring cleaning in your fridge and creating a recipe without having to go to the grocery store. This could not have been a more perfect theme, seeing as this is what I try and do for EVERY SINGLE RECIPE that I create (because I HATE having to go to the grocery store).
I tried to use some basic ingredients and things I usually always have on hand and you can bet that I will ALWAYS have chicken and avocados in the fridge and Craisins and almonds in the pantry. Mix all of that goodness together with some Olive Oil Mayonnaise and lemon juice and you have the best and yummiest chicken salad to munch on.
This chicken salad is perfect to throw on a salad or sandwich for lunch or even a light dinner. My favorite part is the fact that I can stick the chicken in the crockpot overnight and wake up to beautiful, tender shredded chicken all ready to throw together and make this avocado chicken salad for lunch.
What Do You Need?
- 16oz or 1 pound of chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth, unsalted
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 avocado, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Craisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste
How Do You Do It?
- Put 16oz of chicken in crockpot, along with chicken broth, water, and Italian seasoning. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. I cook the chicken on low overnight so I can fix it up in the morning.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked chicken, chopped avocado, onion, Craisins, almonds, mayonnaise, 1/2 lemon squeezed, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken salad on sandwich or salad and ENJOY!